An (un)Ordinary Day

Our days have been really busy lately.  Honestly, I sometimes really miss the simple seasons of my life.  I remember my first year in teaching, I didn't bring work home with me (mostly...ha) and would come home and walk my dog for a good 45 minutes through the avenues every afternoon.  But, then I didn't have a husband and kids to invest in...it was just me and Bama. I absolutely wouldn't change a thing about my life and where I am right now though.
Mentioning the avenues and my first year teaching reminds me of one thing...the day I met my husband.  Back in those "simpler times" when I was struggling to survive my first year as a teacher, I was set up on several blind dates and things, but nothing ever developed from them.  I was teaching in a Hattiesburg School, young, inexperienced, and sweet...yikes!  But towards the end of the year, I got a Mexican girl in my class.  I mentioned how nice it would be if my students could learn some Spanish.  One of my students shared how he had a friend that teaches Spanish and he could see if he could come to our class.  I didn't make much of it, but a few days later, he tells me his friend is coming to our class that afternoon! 

Later that day, I was in the hall taking my kids to their bathroom break when I first saw him.  He was wearing a white shirt, khaki shorts, and very white tennis shoes.  He came walking towards me with a few kids that he taught at his church's christian school.  All I could think was, "Gosh, he looks really young to be a teacher!" (He was 20, I was about to be 23 at the time.)  I found him attractive, but what really got my attention was his way of reaching kids.  My students gave him more attention in that hour than they gave me all day!

He took my student with him when he left and casually mentioned to him, "How'd you get in a class with such a pretty teacher?" (awww ;-)   My third grade student said, "Oh, you want to get to know her?"  and asked for my number the next day.  I didn't hesitate to share it, after the impression the guest speaker left with me.  He awkwardly called later that week to see if I'd want to get together sometime to talk about "teaching strategies" or something.  But, he'd be going to Mexico for 6 weeks so we'd have to get together when he got back.  Nice. 

It really was nice when we finally did get our first date later in the summer.  He brought flowers to the door of my grandmother's house where I was living, but unfortunately he came to the front door where the screen was stuck so he stood there (awkwardly) with the flowers while I told him to go around to the side.  He met my 91 year old grandmother who called him "Bill" (couldn't say Seth) and told me he was better looking than she thought he'd be...ha.  She also asked him to try to fix her sink that night. 

I'm not sure if we actually talked about any teaching strategies that night, but we had a great time.  I love our story and how God brought our lives together at an unexpected time and place.  My home is no longer the quiet retreat that it was in those days, but now I love coming home to hear Carmen's bad singing (that sounds mean, but singing is soooo not her gift!), Lola dramatically quoting Super Reader, and Cruz telling long and detailed stories about his day or how he's feeling or what type of birthday party he wants to have next (and the one after that one, and the one after that one...). At times I forget what a blessing my 3 kids are, but recently I've discovered a treaure in the words of Psalms 127. 

 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

*I feel like I've told this story so many times to friends, some of you reading this might be able to tell it as well as I can!  Hope you didn't mind one more retelling! 
    

Comments

  1. Well I think it's a fabulous story!! I was just mentioning to Leighann H. that we needed to make some changes in our life so we didn't end up retiring old maids! I'm thankful you shared your story because it helped to remind me that God makes things happen when HE is ready. Doesn't matter if you're stuck in a school with a bunch of kiddos… it could still happen. Glad His plan worked out in your life. You have a very precious family. They are lucky to have a special lady such as yourself as a Mom/Wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definetely hope for you beautiful, single ladies spending your days at school with 4th graders! And God's plans are always so good, so much better than what we could ever plan for ourselves.

      P.S. You are the first person to ever comment on my blog! Made my day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

L.B.

Giving Up Control