The Move Before the Move

You might have noticed my recent interest in minimalism.  I thought if I become more like a minimalist, this approaching move would be easier.  Just to give you an idea of what my version of minimalism looks like, my kids' bedrooms (when clean, ha!) have a bed and a small dresser with a lamp and very little of anything else.  Whatever else they have (toys/dress up clothes) is in their closet with their pretty basic wardrobe. My living room has one couch, a chest that holds our small tv/dvd player and wii. We also have a quilt rack in here.  Besides a few things on the walls, that was all we had in our living room. I won't tell you about every room in our house, but you get the idea.  We only have what we need and like.  Anything else gets thrown away, sold, or given away. This is a far cry from our newlywed selves!  The more stuff the better, we though!  Not so these days.  Craigslist and I are very familiar with each other :-)

So although we don't have a ton of "stuff" to move, the memories I will take from this home will forever be treasured.  I met my girls for the first time in this home.  All my kids became Powell's while we lived here.  Carmen and Lola their first birthday parties with us here. I turned 30 in this home with another surprise party from my thoughtful husband.  Cruz practiced baseball and soccer in our backyard and we took many walks down the street stopping to talk to our neighbors (friends) on the way to the playground.  We met some of our best friends in this neighborhood...plenty of friends to borrow milk from, celebrate birthdays with, and share stories and experiences alongside. My kids have ridden their bikes in this cul-de-sac a million times I am sure.  My memories with my dog end with this house as well.  Bama is the only dog that has ever been mine.  I have been his best friend since he was a puppy.  I don't know how I will sleep without him by my side or curled up by my feet. I love that dog so much.

This move might be easier if we were moving to a nicer house or a new town or something.  (Although I don't care one bit about a nicer house or a new town...)  But, we're moving about 10 minutes away to a 2 bedroom duplex...hopefully last stop before living in a third world country.  So many times I've said, "I can't wait for our house to sell."  Well, now I wish I could wait a little longer.  Yes, we can focus more on preparing for the mission field, but knowing it will be nearing means my time with friends and family here is growing shorter.  I am so certain and at peace about going to Bolivia and serving the Lord there, but leaving behind the best family one could ask for is heart wrenching.  Completely heart wrenching.

I don't know what else to say.  Pray for us. This will be difficult for all of us, but God is faithful.  His joy will sustain us, and He will be our strength.

Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An (un)Ordinary Day

L.B.

Giving Up Control