A Few of My Favorite Things

I realized today I have so many good memories of the past few months, but some deserve the respect of not being plastered on Facebook for all to see, ya know?  Some things are just good memories I don't want to forget.  So, I'll write about a few things I was reminded of while scrolling through the photo album on Seth's phone tonight. 

Here is a shopping trip we took a few weeks ago to a market not far from where we live.  This is how we buy all essentials, from pasta, rice (they scoop these from a big bag like the ones in the photo in front of Lola), toilet paper, butter, eggs, cookies, crackers, tomato paste, etc.  We buy our meat now from a lady down the street, and bread from various stores in walking distance from our house.  We bring big bags like the one you see us using below and fill them up with what we get (no shopping buggies here.)  Do we have normal grocery stores?  Yes, there are a few larger grocery stores that have everything for comfortable, easy shopping, they even have special imported items like Nutella, peanut butter, brownie mixes, and canned drinks.  But we try to avoid these stores whenever possible because 1. Its a lot more expensive 2. It is WAY less relational.  3. We buy things we don't need.  So, we keep returning to the market, building relationships, and saving money.  Its a win-win for this thrifty mama.  




Here is a picture of one of the guys we disciple.  He turned 18 recently and just wanted a home made cake for his birthday (but we also took him out to eat).  He has become much like family to us, and in many ways is like a big brother to our kids.  





This girl here...we talked about missions with our spouses for a long time years ago.  We dreamed about being on the mission field together and since February, her family has been here in Cochabamba with us.  She's a great encouragement to me, and her children are a great blessing to my three.  We have double dates occasionally, play dates, and celebrate American holidays together.  I thank God for this precious friend!  




Lola has always been fascinated by how things are sold here.  Often things are just laid on the ground  on the sidewalk and as people pass by, the lady selling the item speaks to you trying to get you interested. So, from time to time she and Carmen create their own tienda and sell things to me.  They do a great job!  


 Seth and the girls at one of our favorite place to eat at, Rancho Viejo, a Brazilian place with great rotisserie chicken and sides.  For under $25, our family can enjoy a nice dinner out.  We don't get to go places like this often, but when we do its a real treat!  



The bee...let me explain.  A few weeks ago Seth preached at a small church on the outskirts of town for a pastor friend of ours.  He said that after church their youth/young adults were taking a bus to a fun park for the afternoon, before coming back for the evening service (that Seth would also be preaching at).  The pastor gave the impression that it would mean a lot if we went.  And so we did!  The park had an area for playing soccer, pools with big slides (like 3 stories high), picnicking spots, and a playground.  And it also had this bee that you can climb into and slide out of its behind.  I've never seen anything like it in my life. The kids loved it though.  




This is from our Monday night Bible study group. This is a group of young adult believers, also from a different part of town than where we live.  They actively serve in their church and community, and really want to know the truth of the gospel and how to live it out.  Seth challenges them to ask questions, to dig deep in scriptures, and to live their life fully surrendered to God.  God has graciously given us wonderful, lasting friendships in this group.  




 We recently sold our car in preparation for furlough.  We wouldn't need a vehicle sitting here for the three months we would be gone, and we needed the money for furlough costs much more than we needed the vehicle.  So, we're back to taking taxis and trufis around town.  Its not always easy waiting  (sometimes 20 or more minutes), for the right trufi number to come by, but we try to make the most of it. (If you have to be squeezed between strangers in a minivan, or have only half of your behind on the seat...it's still pretty unpleasant.)  But, here lately I've been able to talk much more easily to the taxi drivers that have taken me home from school, and I realized I am no longer afraid to hear myself speaking in Spanish.  My accent isn't very good, my pronunciation and grammar are still usually not quite right, but I need to be able to talk to people, and the fear that held me captive for so long here is lifted.  I can speak with people and understand almost, if not all of what they say, and can always say something in response that they will understand, and will continue the conversation.  Its a wonderful feeling, and answer to prayer.  When people are in our home, where before they were afraid to ask me questions or try to tell me stories, we can talk and laugh together...the ease of which I surely took for granted before when all my relationships were English speaking!  Thank you, Jesus, for taking my fears, and giving me faith that you will give me the words and the language as I need it. 



 Carmen is my middle child, and sometimes the middle kids don't get the attention they deserve.  But this girl is awesome.  She loves to help me with whatever I need, and (usually) sets a great example for Lola.  She's quirky, LOVES watching movies, and could eat all day long.  She enjoys watering the yard, and I don't mind at all letting her.  She loves flowers and plants so much, that we talk about her being a botanist one day, that is if her dream of being a princess doesn't work out.  



 This handsome fellow loves Bolivian foods!  He's eating a huge cup of sopa de mani, peanut soup. Its a thousand times better than it sounds. 



My students.  These are a few that I worked with for months preparing them for the school talent show.  When it came time for them to perform, they truly "shined for Jesus" and did an outstanding job.  They are so much fun to teach, and have grown so much in their ease and ability to speak, write, listen, and read in English.  They make me laugh often, and take a lot of the stress out of living cross-culturally, as we can laugh about the oddities  and joys of Bolivia and dream about the niceties of the US.   (I literally showed them a video tour of a Target...ahh, the ease and beauty of shopping in the US.)



We are always referring to "our boys," and we didn't intent to primarily minister to teen guys here, but with my Spanish very basic when we arrived here, Seth was able to build a lot of relationships with guys that lack any Christian friends or mentors.  We said the other day, Seth truly does the job of a pastor, but his flock is almost all guys from 11-21 years old!   Every Friday night they have fellowship and Bible study time before the guys go play soccer.  




This photo is very personal. Its a family we invited over for dinner a few days after their dad passed away.  There is only one believer in this family, but in all of the difficulties they endured in the passing of their dad, we were able to minister a lot to them, and just love on them.  I pray that the relationships that were strengthened will over time lead to more followers of Christ.  This family is very, very precious to us. 





I'll end this really long blog with a picture of food.  This is a "huminta."  Its a Bolivian tamale.  The first time I had it, I wasn't so sure about it, but they've grown on me and now I really enjoy them.  This is one of Seth's absolute favorite dishes here.  A friend taught us how to make them, but they are so cheap that we spare ourselves the work (its a lot of work!) and just buy them.  




This post is all over the place, but hopefully you can see and understand some of my greatest blessings in this season we're in.  Its not all daisies and butterflies...our life is not one long vacation just because we live in a foreign country.  There are SO many things about our profession that are hard...but its so worth it for the joy set before us.  


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so easily, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."  Hebrews 12:1-2




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An (un)Ordinary Day

L.B.

Giving Up Control